The Communion of Saints

The Communion of Saints
I hope there's room for me.

Welcome all - especially Mancunians.

Hello anybody lost in the blogosphere. Welcome to the ruminations of a politically left of centre, Man United supporting, blues loving, history-fixated, Catholic wanderer. Be warned, I am a bit of a curmudgeon.



Wednesday 2 May 2012

Vote early, if not often....

To all those who are standing for election tomorrow, I wish you good luck and thank you for your commitment. If you fail to win, then at least be satisfied that you raised your head above the parapet when most wouldn't. If you lose the seat you hold, then I hope that the disappointment soon fades and that you are able to take on board the message that your electorate are sending to you or your party.

I was intending to blog about Manchester and Rochdale, but my wonderful Crohn's Disease has been a joy so I have been slowed down.

Suffice it to say, if the Liberal Democrats are unable to hold more than two seats in Manchester and one seat in Rochdale, then it will be a sign of true disaster for them. If they hold none - nuff said.

I stand by my Stockport predictions - I believe Labour will gain Brinnington and Central (I know, easy), Davenport and Cale green, Heatons North, Manor and, with big ramifications for the Liberal Democrats, Offerton. I also believe that the Conservatives will gain Hazel Grove and Bredbury Green and Romiley.

I think that Cheadle and Gatley has swung slightly more into the Liberal Democrat's gain column. Despite the confident campaign of Carl Rydings in Marple South, I can't see him gaining the seat but Labour may do better there than I had earlier thought, reducing the Lib Dem majority over the Conservatives quite significantly - the one conundrum for me is how Councillor Shan Alexander's problems will effect her chances.

As for Portsmouth - who knows? What a fascinating election count that will be but I am convinced that Labour will be back as a significant presence in the Town Hall this year.

So , please vote , even if you spoil the ballot paper - it is the one chance we have to shake up the system; if you don't think it matters then ask yourself: "Why were all those people across the Near East willing to protest at the risk to their lives? What is going on in Syria? How amazing is it that Aung San Suu Kyi was elected to the Burmese Parliament?" Lying in bed isn't a political statement.

So - Have a happy election day.


2 comments:

  1. In Portsmouth the Liberal democrats did rather better than you predicted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed they did and I have already sent my congratulations to them. I did predict they would make gains but I didn't see the Tory collapse coming until the last few days.
    They have an awesome machine in Portsmouth.

    ReplyDelete